This week was my turn to pick a topic for our Five Favourite Friday. I have to admit that I got completely stumped trying to come up with something! I eventually settled for TV Shows that we remember watching when we were kids. I soon regretted this decision as, for me at least, there are sooo many to choose from! I’ve managed to whittle it down to my five favourites but there are quite a few honourable mentions!
So, here we are my top 5 kids TV shows from my childhood:
|Image source: https://bellaonbooks.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/queens-nose.jpg|
5. The Queens Nose. I used to absolutely love this show, I was always amazed how they managed to turn 1 book into 7 seasons! I love the book too and I actually read the book before watching the show. This was a British TV series, originally a novel by Dick King-Smith, which follows Harmony Parker who acquires a magical 50 pence piece from her Uncle.
|Image Source: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512BC9PMF7L._SY300_.jpg|
4. The Worst Witch. You might start to see a theme as the majority of my top 5 have magic in them! This is about Mildred Hubble who attends a school for witches, only she’s not very good at being a witch! This was also a series of books before it was a TV show. The book were written by Jill Murphy.
|Image Source: http://showbizgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Screen-Shot-2013-08-23-at-15.20.52.png|
3. Zzzap! This was very bizarre, the show always started off with a giant comic magazine with various images and each time the camera would zoom into one of the images and that days episode would be with that character. Each character had a different niche. For example, there was Daisy Dares You. In this, Daisy (a bit like a female Dennis the Menace if you ask me) would dare children to do various things, like jump across a series of platforms over a pool of custard or something – inevitably they would fall in. But if they didn’t they would get to shove a pie in Daisy’s face!
|Image Source: https://beafeminist.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/sabrina-s2.jpg|
2. Sabrina the Teenage Witch. My final magical show. I loved Sabrina, I always wanted to be her and would always run around the house pointing my finger and pretending to be magic. It’s because of this show that I always wanted a black cat of my own – and eventually got a black cat of my own!
|Image Source: http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Brucie-Banner.jpg|
1. The Crystal Maze. Oh my gosh, if you have never seen this before I urge you to look up episodes of this on YouTube! The host, (originally Richard O’Brien) would take a team of 6 contestants around a maze with various different sectors to complete challenges to collect crystals. If a challenge wasn’t completed within a certain time the contestant would remain in that room and be out of the game. The remaining contestants at the end would have their crystals counted to determine the amount of time they would spend in the dome. In the dome, air blows silver and gold tickets around. The goal was to collect 100 gold tickets to win. Each silver ticket collected would cancel out a gold ticket. If you won, you got an expenses paid adventure day. Each contestant also received a small crystal to say they had conquered the Crystal Maze.
I have so many honourable mentions for this topic, I will try to keep this list as short as possible but it’s just too difficult!
- How 2
- Art Attack
- The Story of Tracy Beaker
- My Parents Are Aliens
- Dexter’s Laboratory
- Johnny Bravo
- The Powerpuff Girls
- Fun House